Financial Affairs


Described below are processes for salvage and disposal of university assets. If you have any questions please contact Procurement Services.


Equipment and assets purchased with University funds, or with funds obtained by a department because of its connection to DePaul (e.g., donations or grants), are the property of DePaul University and Procurement Services holds responsibility for their disposal.

Types of Equipment

Items that are no longer needed are evaluated by Procurement Services to determine the appropriate method of disposal through the Salvage Program.  Typical items that may be disposed of through this program include:

All artwork must be disposed of in accordance with the University Art Collection Deaccessions policy.  Artwork not maintained by the University Art Gallery may be submitted through an Asset Disposal form and Procurement Services will work with the Art Gallery to ensure it is properly handled.

Audio/Video Equipment
Audio/video equipment (e.g. televisions, DVD players, cameras) must be disposed of through the Salvage Program.

All phones (e.g. desk phones, cell phones, smart phones, PDA's) must be disposed of through the Salvage Program.

Computers and other technology
All technology (e.g. computers, printers) purchases must be put through the salvage program.  Procurement Services will ensure that any sensitive data is erased prior to disposal. 

Furniture and Appliances
Departments with unneeded furniture items should contact Facility Operations first to see if it can be reallocated.  If there is no need for the furniture within the University, a Salvage form can be filled out and the furniture disposed of through Procurement Services.

Regardless of the above, Facility Operations is authorized to reallocate, store, or dispose of unneeded furniture.

All vehicles must be disposed of through the Salvage Program or traded in towards the purchase of a replacement.  See the Purchasing & Bidding Requirements policy for more information.

Other Equipment
If unsure about how to properly dispose of equipment, contact Procurement Services.

Small office supplies (e.g. binders, staplers, pens) can be disposed of per department procedures.  They are not required to go through the Salvage Program.  Various recycling programs (pens, batteries, toner) exist in the university that may be able to use these types of items.

Donated Items

All items that were donated to the university should be marked as such when filling out the salvage form.  Procurement Services will check with the University Tax Services prior to disposing of such items, as there may be tax reporting obligations.

Grant Items

All items that were purchased on a grant should be marked as such (with the grant number) when filling out the salvage form.  Procurement Services will work with Restricted Accounting or the Office of Research Services to ensure proper disposal methods.

Disposal Methods

Once received, Procurement Services will review the items and determine the appropriate method of disposal based on the item's nature, condition, and estimated value. Common methods of disposal include:

Departments are not at liberty to sell, donate, or discard equipment or assets without the prior authorization of Procurement Services. Unallowable methods of disposal include:

If an individual wishes to purchase a specific piece of equipment, it must be done via Procurement Services and not through the department.  Procurement will determine an appropriate market value and attempt to make it available to the individual.  Equipment may not be given as a gift to employees or students without the approval from the Director of Procurement Services and in compliance with the Gifts to Employees policy.


Procurement Services maintains relationships with vendors who pay for used printer toner cartridges. As a result, DePaul University is eligible to receive funds for the toner we recycle.

To participate in this program, simply follow these steps:

  1. Place your used cartridge in the container that your new cartridge arrived in.
  2. Interoffice it to: "Procurement Services - Toner Recycling."

Procurement Services receives a check for all returned cartridges quarterly, which adds up to several thousand dollars per year. These funds are then put into the general scholarship fund with students reaping 100% of the benefits.

If you are mailing NEW ink or toner between departments / campuses, via inter-office mail, it must be placed into another box prior to mailing or it will be considered “for recycle.” By shipping it in a separate box, the mail sorters will be able to differentiate between reallocated toner and used cartridges for recycling.


Batteries can be recycled via bins which can be found around campus. To request one for your office please contact Environmental Health and Safety.



While the university salvage program does not accept personal items, there are a wide variety of resources available for you to resell, donate or recycle through. The list below is not exhaustive, but should provide some ideas to start from.

General Resources


Recycle Resell